Thứ Sáu, 22 tháng 1, 2010

SFL Friday -- White Men Can't Think Either.


Well it's been a rough week and I'm starting to ease my way out of the office to catch a few waves.

I know a lot of you weekend warriors fashion yourselves to be "good" basketball players, so you may be interested in this new and exciting B-Ball league.

There's only one catch:
"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.
Oy.

But I'm sure there's a very fine reason to return us to the 1950s, before basketball was integrated and the world was just like Pleasantville only better:
AABA's Lewis describes his project as "a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like ... instead of 'streetball' played by 'people of color.'"
Just who is the target audience for this -- elderly racists?

It's not clear, but why do I think members of the Tribe aren't going to make the roster either?

(Must be the old random circumcision check -- also popular in the 50s.)

Now that I think of it, they're probably not too keen on Catholics either.

BTW, my friend Alan Fein thinks this guy is meshugga:
"It strikes me as discriminatory on its face without any real justification," says Alan Fein, a Miami-based sports-law and First Amendment attorney who serves as outside counsel to the Miami Heat. "You can base membership on some sort of objective standard, like height or vertical ability, but I don't think this league would stand up, if challenged."
Alan's trying to be polite, but I won't -- you sir are an idiot.

Wow, now I really want get out of here.

Before I do, I need to bone up on my legal defense strategies, try not to make people angry, and -- big surprise -- John Mayer is still a jerk.

Remember, there are lots and lots of volunteer opportunities this weekend and for once George W. Bush is right -- send money.

Have a great weekend!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến