Thứ Năm, 15 tháng 7, 2010

What's the Right Way to Cite "My Way"?


That's the urgent question posed by Judge Carnes to whichever clerk helped him write this opinion:
Allen was arrested in California three months later and brought back to Florida. During his first meeting with his appointed attorney, Allen set out the terms of their relationship. He said it was going to be “a Frank Sinatra case,” by which he meant they were going to conduct the case the way he wanted. Cf. Frank Sinatra, My Way (Reprise Records 1969). He told the attorney that “from start to finish on my case we [are] going to do it my way; not the way [you] thought or the way [the prosecutors] thought, we will do it my way because it is my case.” In the words of the song that served as his inspiration, Allen “planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway” of the defense, and when done he could say that he “saw it through without exemption,” and “I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way.” Id.
As a loyal tipster points out, when your client uses this song to describe her lawsuit, you have a problem client.

In fact, I remember a client a few years back who told me "I better get a chaperon because she can't stop messin' with the danger zone."

I was somewhat unclear about what she meant, so if I recall correctly she clarified that "I won't worry, and I won't fret, ain't no law against it yet."

Still uncertain over her meaning, she then exclaimed -- quite delightfully as I look back in retrospect --"oop--she bop--she bop."

Does anyone know what she was talking about?

Cf. Cyndi Lauper, She Bop (Epic Records 1983).

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến