Thứ Ba, 10 tháng 3, 2009

Norm Kent Explains Why He Smokes Pot (Legally!)



I really enjoyed this Norm Kent piece on the stupidity of our nation's policy toward marijuana possession:

As a California patient, I am empowered to acquire cannabis lawfully at medical dispensaries. Under the California Health and Safety Code, I am also entitled to grow up to six plants of my own in my little apartment on the bay. I do not have to hide them from the authorities.

I joined the Oakland Cannabis Buyers’ Cooperative, and was issued a Growers Certificate. It affirms that any herbs I cultivate at home would be grown for my personal medical use. I was now at liberty to grow my own medicine. It is still called pot in Florida. We call it medicine in California.

Today, therefore, the same medicine I can consume lawfully in California I have to prevent people from going to jail for in Florida. It makes no sense. Fourteen states and scores of communities across our country have either decriminalized or ‘medicalized’ marijuana. It is not good enough. Americans still face one very large federal stumbling block.

Once again the small-g government types and state's rights folks can't manage to maintain the same principled approach that William F. Buckley did when it comes to our marijuana laws, leading to the absurd situation Normie details so well.

You can see Norm's thought process behind writing the piece at his snazzy blog here.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến