Thứ Tư, 26 tháng 6, 2013

Love Wins!





Victory!!! I'm ecstatic and overwhelmed. I'm still trying to figure out how this affects couples like my husband and I who are legally married but live in states like Florida that don't recognize that marriage. The more narrow Prop 8 non-ruling suggests that we may now be considered married at the Federal level, yet not at the state level.

I'd be eager to hear any opinions on that.

At any rate this is an extremely important victory but there's still work to be done. I'm popping the Champagne as we speak so I'll leave you all with the words of someone who's been fighting for human rights longer than I, the unflappable Mr. George Takei. FYI George will be in Miami in early July for Supercon!
Today marks a watershed moment in history and a tremendous victory for the principle of equality. The 5-4 decision by our Supreme Court striking down DOMA affirms the universality of love--the desire of all people not only to find, but to value and affirm, a lifelong commitment to another person. I have lived nearly four score years, and have borne witness to both the heartbreak and promise of true justice and equality in America. Today my heart soars, and my faith in the promise of our great nation is renewed. Now, if there's anything we gays know how to do well, it is to celebrate! Let the joy of this day ring out with PRIDE.
UPDATE: The full text here. United States v. Windsor

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến